Getting the Roadworthy

First off, a list.

  1. I don’t fit, seat needs to go back
  2. Brakes pulling to one side
  3. Rear blinkers are flashing red, should be amber.
  4. Steering lethal
  5. Thermo fan is not working

The drivers seat goes back until it jambs between the tunnel the rear wheel arch neither of which I can change, however the seat has this monster steel bracket that needs to visit the angle grinder also the seat tracks are crap so I have ordered some more the end result is about 100mm more leg room so I can now take it for a tootle around the shed. I probably should do the passenger side as well.

Both rear brakes are covered in diff oil, according to the Holy Book for Horneteers a lip seal conversion is the go, about $10 and a day’s work later it’s nearly fixed as alas the oil has swollen the brake boots and the cups are leaking as well so again according to the good book SWB rear early series Landrover cups are 1” and the boots with the aid of some heat shrink work as well….time passes waiting for supplies.

Bleeding the brakes turned into a nightmare as it looks like one of the front wheel cylinders is leaking as well, luckily there are spares from the landrover stuff.  Brakes are OK now but I suspect the residual pressure valve is kaput or even non-existent, It’s stopping OK but the pedal doesn’t feel great, this one to be continued.

I have used motorcycle indicators on other cars, but I was not that happy with there brilliance until now, these LED ones are really bright and nicely made so I will use these again.

Steering is terrible as you end up sawing your way around a corner, not pleasant. Obviously steering has been an issue as it has a modern damper fitted. As it happens it’s an easy fix as the drop arm is fixed to the steering box via a spline with a pinch bolt….which was loose, I’ve taken the damper off as well as this car needs a bit of lightness added. Checked toe-in and castor both in spec.

Thermo fan needs a waterproof fuse holder as the old fuse had corroded away. The roadworthy passed so now onto the tuning issues.

Mookie, always a help in the workshop
Posted in Wolseley Hornet Special | 4 Comments

1934 Wolseley Hornet Special

A couple of months ago between lockdowns, I went to NSW to pick up the Hornet I won’t go into the reasons for this, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Here are some early pictures of the car all I can say is that these 1930’s people were very short and a bit blood thirsty as well.

Somewhere between that photo and when it was rescued in the 70’s the rear of the body was shortened, and a slab tank added. During the next 40 odd years it lived under a Queenslander where although protected from the environment it was not protected from the local Hornet owners who used it as a spare parts supply.

Around 2012 Joe Wilson obtained the car with a 14hp engine and set about the daunting task of restoration. Initially Joe intended to fit a supercharger but evidently it did not run as hoped so it now has a pair of SUs but the supercharger is in a box so who knows. The car was registered in 2016 and has had 2 owners since and only covered about 3000 miles.

You may be thinking why has it had so many owners and so few miles? If I had had any sense, I would have asked the same question, no matter it just needs some or maybe a whole lotta love. More to follow.

Posted in Wolseley Hornet Special | Leave a comment

Love is in the details

Today is Valentine’s Day so what better time to exoll some Lancia love?

Nothing happens around here unless there is a deadline and as the Aurelia is now booked in for a spray job the clock is ticking, everything I don’t want painted has to be removed.  I have removed the front bench seat this morning and what a wonderful example of Lancia’s attention to detail the seat mechanism is.

Bench seats were popular in the 50’s and 60’s and they may have worked fine when they were new but usually the rails they “glided” on became clogged and it became a two person job to move them back or forward.  You can assume that the Lancia accountancy department probably fitted in the understairs broom cupboard as the Lancia engineers had free rein to engineer everything, seating included.

Here is a picture of the underside of the front seat.

Perfection even when it cannot be seen

As you can see there is what appears to be a window winder (C), this when wound it will move a bell crank that has one end anchored via a link to the rhs floor (A) the other end (via red link D) to another bell crank that is anchored via a link to the lhs floor (B) so turning the handle pulls both sides of the seat equally so no jamming.

Lancia did go broke not long after this so now you know why. 

Posted in Aurelia B10 | Leave a comment